Thursday, March 4, 2021

It Is All Coming Together.....

.....And not how I thought it would. This time last year, I was thinking of writing again. I have wanted to be a published author for 20+ years and with my new found time, I decided I would push through. In April of 2020 I joined an online community of writers, Stop Writing Alone. With them, I entered into a novel writing contest (I wrote 27k words in one weekend), I "won" NaNo (50k words in November), and I have 5 - yes, 5 - works in progress (WIP). In August, I began my voiceover coaching with Such A Voice. Being a voice in a full-length animation film has also been a dream of mine for 20+ years. To see them both come together at the same time, is awesome and overwhelming at the same time. Since my last post, I have made some adjustments with my time and schedule. Time blocking has always been my go-to. It was what I was known for in my real estate office. Planning and time blocking. I have recently discovered the concept of time blocking - setting aside set hours to get something done and then moving on to the next thing when time is up - is no longer working for me. I know. I was shocked, too. What I have discovered is setting aside full days for specific categories. I have four categories my week is divided into - Catch All, Voice Over, Writing, Catch-Up. Two days are devoted to writing and two to voice work. Monday starts my week with Catch All and Saturday ends it with Catch-Up. I get all the mundane done on Mondays - laundry, vaccuum, groceries, etc - and Saturdays are for finishing up anything that can't wait until Monday. Right now, it is a lot of homework for my Theology class. Oh, I don't think I mentioned that. Randy and I are in our second year of Theology School being taught at our church, Celebration, and being taught by Dr. Michael Heiser. I have tried this new schedule for a couple of weeks now and am finding a freedom in my days I was not expecting. Instead of feeling like I can only do an activity at a certain time, there is freedome in when I do the activity that day. There is no more feeling like I messed up my whole day if I miss a time block....because there aren't any. And....this past weekend I received my demos and it is a pretty cool feeling to hear yourself doing what you have always wanted to do. On the same day, I booked a job. Knowing that this will be our moneymaker, I am having to remind myself this needs to be my focus. Writing is still in the mix - see above - and I am gazelle focused on making my voice acting career a success from the beginning. Which means.... Milwordy is on hold. I have not written much since the conclusion of NaNoWriMo in November and I have to remind myself that that is okay. Goals change and I am learning to be flexible with it. It may be something I get back to later in the year. For now, honing in my skills on Audacity and booking gigs is my focus. I am glad to have you on this journey with me. I can't wait to see where it takes us. TTFN

No comments:

Post a Comment